Series Set to Make Debut at Toledo’s Huntington Center
AURORA, Ill. (January 31, 2011) – The 2011 AMA Arenacross Series received a shakeup last weekend at the championship’s first two-night round of the season from Denver. After watching their fastest competitor in TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson take the first three main event wins of the year, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers and Chad Johnson took their turns atop the podium.
On Friday night, Bowers tactically worked his way into the lead and became the first rider to end Gibson’s early-season dominance. He also led the Babbitt’s team to a podium sweep on the first night of racing. On Saturday night, fans were treated to one of the most memorable races in recent memory as Gibson was determined to reclaim the top spot after failing to make the podium the night before. Preventing Gibson from obtaining that top spot was Johnson, who managed to fend off each of his rivals advances to take the win.
Now, as the series returns to Ohio for the second time in three weeks, the championship battle is closer than ever with Gibson holding a slight six-point lead over Johnson, who sits only an additional two points ahead of his teammate Bowers. Toledo’s Huntington Center plays host to its first AMA Arenacross Series race, with two nights of action for the dedicated Ohio fan base.
Just a month into the championship, the Arenacross class title fight is already down to a three-rider battle that should produce unpredictable action and edge-of-your-seat excitement for the remaining 14 weeks.
Also returning to action this weekend after a one-week break is the Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship. After two rounds, Missouri native Adam Gulley sits undefeated atop the standings and will look to keep up the momentum on Friday and Saturday night.
Advance tickets are available for this weekend’s Toledo Arenacross at the Huntington Center Box Office, Ticketmaster charge by phone and ticketmaster.com. Tickets cost $2 more the day of the race.
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 5 of 19)
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 113
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 107
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 105
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 81
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 76
- Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Ho nda – 74
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 70
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 54
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 54
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda – 53
Arenacross Lites Class Western Regional Points (After Race 3 of 10)
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 72
- Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 45
- Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki – 44
- Bobby Fitch, Littleton, Colo., Honda – 44
- Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha – 38
- Ricky Yorks, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 29
- Jeremy Huddleston, Eustace, Texas, KTM – 27
- Zachary Jaynes, Princeton, Texas, Yamaha – 27
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 25
- Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha – 22
Arenacross Lites Class Eastern Regional Points (After Race 2 of 10)
- Adam Gulley, Jonesburg, Mo., Kawasaki – 50
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda – 40
- Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 38
- Tyler Sehr, Belleville, Ill., Honda – 25
- Steve Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 22
- Austin Coon, Spencer, W.V., Honda – 21
- Zachary Jaynes, Princeton, Texas, Yamaha – 20
- Kyle Hussey, Moscow Mills, Mo., Kawasaki – 19
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 16
- Travis Merrill, Fowler, Ill., KTM – 15
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.arenacross.com. For all media requests, please contact Brandon Short at email@example.com or 949-365-5750.
About Feld Motor Sports®
Feld Motor Sports®, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear Cowboyz℠, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.